Patmos is known as the island of the Apocalypse. It is believed that the island took its name from the mountain Latros at Caria of Asia Minor. According to mythology, Patmos is mentioned when Orestis, who killed his mother, passed from the island. Patmos was first inhabited by Cares, according to archaeological findings at Kasteli region. The first Greek inhabitants on the island are considered to be Ions and later Dorians. In the 2nd century BC Patmos was devastated by the pirates and the Romans used to send there people in exile. Apostle Ioannis (95 AD), was exiled to Patmos where he wrote the holy book of Apocalypse in an environment of isolation and ascetic contemplation. From the 6th till the 9th century Patmos was devastated once more by the pirates' raids. In 11th century Osios Christodouls o Latrinos, a distinguished scholar of the Church, took over, and he established the Monastery of Aghios Ioannis (Saint John) Theologos, and he was granted an emperor's decree for tax autonomy and the right to keep a ship, which at that time was a special privilege. The first village on the island was developed around the Monastery in 12th century. In 1522 Rhodes was conquered by the Ottomans. The invasion of the Venetians at Patmos took place in 1659 and the rulers looted the Monastery. At the end of 16th century Patmos entered a new period of prosperity and in 1713 Makarios Kalogeras established the Patmos School, an intellectual hotbed for distinguished scholars and national rulers. In 19th century it was financially and socially powerful and was more open to European influences concerning ideas and architecture (e.g. neoclassicism). In 1948 Patmos joined Greece after the period of Italian rule.

Bronze Age settlement 

Bronze Age settlement (Aspri Bay): Traces of a settlement demonstrate that Patmos was first inhabited in prehistoric times.

Ancient acropolis 

Ancient acropolis (On the slopes of the Kasteli elevation- 3rd century BC): The remains of a fortified acropolis, with a wall of black trachyte and reinforced with towers, this is a classic example of Hellenistic fortification. It remained in use until the Roman period. The Church of Aghios Konstantinos was later built here.

Aghios Ioannis 

Monastery of Aghios Ioannis (Hora - 11th century): The Monastery of St. John consists of a number of fortified buildings from different periods in a complex extending over five levels. The defensive enclosure of the monastery includes battlements and towers. On the projection above the gateway was the "murderer", an aperture through which boiling oil, lead or water could be poured down on besieging troops. Within the fortified enclosure there are ten chapels and 99 cells. Most interesting of the chapels are those of Aghion Apostolon and Blessed Christodoulos, which was built in 1093 when disciples of the holy man brought his relics to Patmos. The courtyard is cobbled and surrounded by archways. Among the important buildings are the monastery's catholicon, the refectory, the kitchens, the vestry, the library, the abbot's quarters, the storerooms and the conservation laboratory where works of art and manuscripts are restored and preserved.

Holy Cave of the Apocalypse 

Holy Cave of the Apocalypse (Hora): This is the cave which was home to John the Evangelist from 95 AD, when he was exiled by the Romans. It was here that God revealed to him the vision of the Apocalypse - the end of the world, ordered by divine will. A complex of buildings and chapels has grown up around the cave, with the Church of the Apocalypse, the chapels of Aghia Anna, Aghios Artemis and Aghios Nikolaos, and the earliest buildings of the School of Patmos. There is also a church dedicated to two saints (17th century) built on the site of an earlier place of worship (11th century).

Monastery of Aghios Ioannis Theologos library

Monastery of Aghios Ioannis Theologos library: it was established by Osios Christodoulos with manuscripts that he brought from his looted library in Asia Minor.

It is considered one of the most important libraries of Orthodox Church. It includes 890 handwritten Codes, 325 of which are parchments. There are more than 13.000 documents in the Archive that refer to the History of the Monastery and Patmos.