The island of god Helios
At the southeastern side of the Aegean you will meet the biggest island of the Dodecanese. An island with long history that harmoniously combines timeless with contemporary elements, lacy beaches with mountains, archaeological and medieval monuments with modern hotels and cosmopolitan tourist resorts.
A touch of Mythology
It is the island with the greatest sunlight during the year, since God Helios has selected it, after the battle with the Titans: he had imagined a beautiful island that will emerge from the blue waters of the Aegean and that without a doubt would be the island of Rhodes!
Walk in the Old Town of Rhodes
A walk in the Old Town of Rhodes will take you back 2.400 years ago. Every corner and every street has a story to tell. Statues from the Ancient era, medieval fountains, Turkish baths and mosques, the Clock Tower and many more will take your breath away! Walk upwards the Street of the Knights [Ippoton], and reach its highest point where the Palace of the Grand Master is located which is one of the most significant sights of the island. A visit at the Archaeological Museum and the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology will complete your first acquaintance with the History and beauty of the island.
The alleys and the Acropolis of Lindos
The Acropolis of Lindos stands imposing at the top of a rock and amazes you from the very first moment when you turn along the way and is right in front of you. The traditional settlement with white houses, churches and cobbled alleys spread at the roots of a rock harmoniously complete this magical scenery. The village is build amphitheatrically below Acropolis. During summer season, Lindos is famous for its beaches, entertainment and night life.
Sunset at the Acropolis of Rhodes
The best time to visit the Acropolis of Rhodes, also known as Monte Smith hill, is during the evening hours. At the top of the hill you will find the ruins of the ancient Acropolis of Rhodes and the Temple of Apollo. When you walk downwards, you will meet a lush park where the Ancient Stadium and a small marble outdoor Theater are preserved. The panoramic view to the city of Rhodes and the sea, especially during the hour when the sun dives at the Aegean waters and lights up the island with a deep red color, will definitely take your breath away!
Set sail to the west side of the island
Wander at the island’s west side and meet its treasures! To begin with make a stop at Ancient Kameiros, one of the most ancient cities of the island, where the ruins of the city and temple of Athena are preserved since 6th century b.C., Then continue at the area of Kameiros Skala, and you will meet the village of Kritinia, with the imposing Castle that was built by the Knights of St. John. Finish your tour on this side with a visit to the impressive Castle of Monolithos and enjoy the view to the Aegean Sea and Chalki. In the castle’s interior there are two small churches that harmoniously complete this scenery.
When nature meets architecture then something special is created! Visit the Thermal Springs of Kallithea, which even though they are not operating today, are still a unique landscape, where mosaic floors, a patio and the Rotunda set the scene of another era!
Just a few kilometers from there, at a marvelous location with many pine trees and plane trees, visitors will reach Seven Springs. Springs stream water which ends up in a lake through a tunnel. You can cross the tunnel, following the water route and reach an enchanting location. A paradise land that proves the power of nature as an artist! Complete your discovery of the island’s nature with a visit to the Valley of the Butterflies, a verdant canyon that accommodates the “Panaxia Quadripunctaria” butterfly, with the characteristic orange dots in each wing. It is the only forest in Greece with “zities”, a tree species that looks like plane trees, the smell of which attracts millions of butterflies every year.
Local products & delicacies
- Rhodian giaprakia
- Elli: the most famous and busy beach on the island located in the city center. It is organized with umbrellas and sun beds.
- Antony Queen: beach with crystal clear blue waters surrounded by rocks which looks like a postcard. It is 17km. away from the center of Rhodes and it is organized.
- Agathi: a beautiful, sandy and organized beach at a distance of 38km. from the city, ideal for families with small children.
- Afantou: endless beach with small pebbles and crystal waters, 5km. from the city center. It is a meeting point for people who love beach volley, beach soccer and beach tennis.
- St. Paul’s: the beach of St. Paul is 55km. away from the center of Rhodes and consists of two small bays with shallow crystal blue-green waters, sandy and pebble beach and scenery surrounded by rocks.
- Tsampika: one of the most famous beaches of Rhodes, 26km. from the city center. The endless sandy beach, it’s clear waters and the scenery around it make it special.
- Faliraki: popular and organized beach, just 5km. from the centre. In Faliraki you can visit Water Park, the biggest water amusement park in Greece. It is a magical place offering great variety of activities for all ages. High speed Water slides, open and closed type, lazy river for children and the wave pool are only a few of the experiences offered to visitors. Ideal for memorable family moments!